Victim of Housing Discrimination?

Under the Fair Housing Act, it is against the law to...

  • Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Tell someone housing is unavailable when in fact it is available
  • Show individuals or families apartments or homes only in certain neighborhoods
  • Set different terms, conditions, or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
  • Provide different housing services or facilities
  • Advertise housing to preferred groups of people
  • Refuse to provide information regarding mortgage loans, deny mortgage loans, or impose different terms or conditions on a mortgage loan
  • Deny property insurance
  • Conduct property appraisals in a discriminatory manner
  • Refuse to make reasonable accommodations for persons with a disability if the accommodation may be necessary to afford such person a reasonable and equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling
  • Fail to design and construct housing in an accessible manner
  • Harass, coerce, intimidate, or interfere with anyone exercising or assisting someone else with his/her fair housing rights
...because of an individual's race, color, religion, sex, national origin, family status, or disability.

If you feel your rights have been violated or that you have been discriminated against under the Fair Housing Act, Texas Fair Housing Act, or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, you can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the State of Texas or the City of Dickinson. 

Information to have ready when filing a complaint:

  • Your name, address, and contact information
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against
  • The address or identification of the housing involved
  • A short description of the alleged violation (i.e. what occurred to cause you to believe that your rights were violated)
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation
Click here for information on how to file a complaint